I don’t always get around to awards/tag posts, but I’m always incredibly grateful to be included in them. When I saw Marina’s questions for The Sunshine Blogger Award, however, I couldn’t resist! (Marina’s blog is excellent, by the way; you should definitely check it out if you haven’t already). Let’s just jump right in!
1. What is the first novel you ever read?
The first proper novels I remember reading and loving as a child were Huntress of the Sea by Alan Temperley, and The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis. I read the former so many times, and eventually met the author when my class at school went to a book fair he was attending. I still have my battered old copy that he kindly signed that day.
2. What is your favorite animal?
In terms of in artwork and stuff, I have a real thing for owls and foxes. As for pets, I have two cats and a dog, and though I’m much more a ‘cat person’ in personality, I love both.
3. What is your favorite graphic novel/comic?
I loved Skim by Mariko & Jillian Tamaki; a brilliant and quietly heart-breaking story about the unease of teenage life, and the daunting first experiences of love, grief, friendship, sexuality, and self-discovery. I also love the work of Isabel Greenberg, which is all about mythology and the beauty of storytelling.
4. What’s the worst book you’ve ever read and why?
Possibly Being a Beast by Charles Foster. It purports to be nature non-fiction, but it’s little more than exploitative tripe.
5. Have you ever tried reading in another language, and which one?
I’ve read a few basic books in French, but I’m so out of practice I doubt I could do it now, which is a shame. My sister-in-law is French though, so maybe one day I’ll get back into it.
6. Your favorite holiday, a book and a movie related to it?
Christmas, hands down. The Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher is an incredibly charming festive read that also has some great disability representation. As for movies, I love Elf, but feel most nostalgic about The Santa Clause.
7. You can choose one Deathly Hallow. Which one and why?
The invisibility cloak. Just think of all the awkward social situations you could avoid!
8. Cats or dogs? Or horses?
See my answer for question 2, haha.
9. Do you have a hobby and what is it? You better not say reading hahaha, that’s not a hobby, it’s a life calling.
A boring answer here, but the truth is… not really. My spare time really is spent reading.
10. Do you like art? If yes, who is your favorite illustrator/painter?
Oh, yes, very much so! My favourite artists include Leonora Carrington, Georgia O’Keeffe, Shaun Tan, Jessica Roux, Jim Kay, and Robert Ingpen.
11. Are you open to a variety of genres, or do you stick to only one?
My favourite genre is gothic, but I’ll try everything and anything! I love it most of all when a book can defy genre, blending elements of several different styles to create a unique and captivating reading experience.
There is, of course, no pressure to take part. Just think of it as my way of saying how much I’ve been loving your blogs recently. If you would like to take part, here are my 11 questions:
- Which author that you haven’t read yet are you most excited to try?
- What’s the best book you read before you started blogging?
- What book do you most want to see as a movie/TV show?
- Which genre do you want to explore more of?
- Is the Hogwarts House you’d want to be in the same as the one you think you’d actually be sorted into?
- Do you have any pets?
- Are any of your ‘real life’ friends big readers?
- What read has been your biggest pleasant surprise so far this year?
- What’s been your most disappointing read of the year so far?
- Who’s your favourite music artist?
- If you could live in any country other than the one you live in now, which one would it be and why?