I was kindly tagged by Mel to take part in a freestyle writing challenge. I haven’t done any short fiction for a while and loved the idea of jumping straight into an unknown topic, so I couldn’t resist getting involved.
The scenario Mel gave us was:
The world as we know it has ceased to exist. Describe this new reality.
The world lies dormant beneath a layer of ash, still as death itself. A new silence reigns now, one born of a purge so devastating not a single lifeform could have hoped to survive. Pushed beyond her limits, Mother Earth rebelled, erupting from her very core a genocide of global proportions, expelling each and every one of her assailants in a glorious retribution. There was no mercy.
Minutes pass, or perhaps they are decades, when all at once something miraculous occurs. The faintest whisper of a breeze disturbs the stubborn blanket of blackest dust, and beyond this residue of pain rises a single shoot of freshest, vibrant green – Humanity’s revival, the birth of second chances.
(115 words – 5 minutes)
That was my interpretation of Mel’s concept and I had a lot of fun writing it! I chose to use the shortest time limit because I wanted to try some real flash fiction. I’m going to make this an open tag and invite as many of you who wish to take part to do so, even if you’ve already done one. Here are the rules:
- Open a Word Document.
- Set a stopwatch or your mobile phone timer to 5, 10, or 15 minutes, whichever challenge you think you can beat.
- Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!
- Fill the word doc with as many words as you want. Once you start writing do not stop.
- Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar using spell check (it’s only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write the right spelling and stick to grammar rules).
- You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals. However, if you do, it would be best.
- At the end of your post write down your word count so that we would have an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
- Do not forget to copy and paste the entire passage on your blog post with a new topic for your nominees and copy and paste these rules with your nomination (at least five (5) bloggers).
Without further ado, here is your topic, should you wish to take part:
“One morning, your protagonist wakes up to find they can hear everyone else’s thoughts.”